Saturday, May 1, 2010

Review : Bobbi Brown Foundation Brush

So ladies...application of liquid foundation. Fingers or brush?

I am a firm believer of fingers. It's free. You can clean them instantaneously by washing your hands prior. And the product goes on smoother as you can warm it via finger tips.

Before I go on, I must say now that I am a fan of very sheer coverage. I really do not like the cakey look and neither do I like the feeling of makeup on my face. I apply liquid foundation very sparingly and only on places that I think I need it e.g. under my eyes and around areas of redness like my nose and mouth. A bit like you would with tinted moisturizers i.e. with an extremely light hand.

But I had dagerously meandered to the Bobbi Brown counter one day and the MUA (make up artist) there did an entire make over for me using both the brush and the Bobbi Brown's latest oil-free Natural Finish Long Lasting Foundation. I walked away with a flawless look that even BabySis commented appeared smoother and brighter. I must say however that she did perform the works i.e. moisturizer, primer, eye cream, foundation, concealer, powder.

I did a quick online review of the brush and after reading Makeup Alley's reviews (rated 4.8/5), I was sold.

Here is my own simple test to answer that question : Fingers or brush?

I applied liquid foundation to half of my face using fingers and the other half, with Bobbi Brown's foundation brush. I only allowed myself 2 pumps per side from the bottle.

VERDICT: To be honest, I didn't see any difference myself. In fact, I tended to use less liquid foundation when I applied it using my fingers as the brush absorbed most of the product. But looking at the pictures below, I noticed something very subtle : my freckles on the side of my face where I had used the brush appeared less pigmented. Hmmm....

So, to brush or not to brush? I think as I am very light-handed with my own coverage, fingers suffice for me. But if you are someone who would prefer heavier coverage, I think a brush is useful in building up the foundation.

Bobbi Brown Foundation Brush
A$65
USD $35








Bobbi Brown's Foundation Brush is made out of synthetic fibres as like most other foundation brushes. It has a flat head with a tapered end which is very useful for getting into the corners and under the eyes. The brush itself feels very silky soft and smooth. The handle is extremely lightweight and it has a black metal ferrule. Cleaning it was a breeze.





Sorry for the scary picture! But this was taken early in the morning prior to an appointment. All I have on my face is Bobbi Brown's Natural Finish Long Lasting Foundation (review coming up soon!). The side of my face to your right, I used the brush. The side of my face to your left, fingers. Not much difference at all!!!





Aaah, much better! :)


Liquid Foundation: Bobbi Brown - Natural Finish Long Lasting Foundation
Face Powder: Chanel - Mat Purete (their whitening range)
Eyeshadow: MAC -All That Glitters
Eyeliner: MAC Powerpoint -Buried Treasure
Blush: NARS -Orgasm
Bronzer: Benefit - 10
Eyebrows: Shu Uemura - Seal Brown (mechanical pencil version)
Liploss: NARS - Chihuahua




No comments:

Post a Comment